Wednesday, May 30, 2007

aches and pains

I feel like I've been living up to the image that most people think of when they hear my name, Ruth. I've been hobbling around like a little old lady lately. I feel like I'm in my eighties! Come on, you know you have a grandmother or a great aunt that is named Ruth...

I've never dealt with back pain before and it's quite alarming, actually. Simple movements I used to take for granted are difficult, if not impossible, right now. Sitting up from a horizontal position in bed takes about four different changes in position. Putting on socks and shoes feels like torture, and bending down to pick up something off the floor requires those deep knee bends. I feel so helpless. I just want to move the way I used to. This has definitely been a lesson in slowing down, patience, and letting others help me. Kyle has been so kind and he has taken wonderful care of me while I've been hurting. It's kind of annoying that he won't let me do certain things that he knows are going to be painful for me, but I know he's doing it out of love, not to boss me around. He has chronic back pain that shows up pretty regularly, so he knows what I'm going through. I just hope that the next time he's in pain, he remembers all of the things he's telling me about taking it easy...

I made my first appointment with a chiropractor. However, she's going on vacation for eight days, so the soonest I can be seen is June 7. I asked her what her cancellation policy is, in case I'm feeling better by the time the appointment is scheduled. She told me that she likes 24 hours notice, but she told me to keep something in mind. Often, when something is wrong with our bodies, pain is the last symptom to show up and the first to go away. Just because the pain is gone, it doesn't mean that the cause of that pain has been healed. OK, I get it. I'll keep the appointment, even if I'm starting to feel better by then. I might just have to see someone else before she returns, though. This isn't fun.

No comments: