Thursday, February 04, 2010

gear

By no means am I a gear snob. Pretty much the opposite. I live in a place where some people strap skis or bicycles worth thousands of dollars on top of cars worth only hundreds. Keeping up with the latest and greatest outdoor gear is really important to some people, but I'm not one of them. My disinterest in owning expensive equipment is due in part to my ignorance about the products, my frugal nature, and the fear of being expected to perform at the levels those professional-endorsed items suggest they can help one achieve. Does that make me a dumb, cheap, under-achiever in terms of outdoor sports? So be it.

My main objective is to have fun, not necessarily to perform at the highest level or look the greatest doing it. I'm happy because the things I have were acquired for free, or at a very reasonable price, and they allow me to enjoy what this county has to offer without breaking the bank. After all, the cost of living just to be here is high enough that I can't imagine purchasing super expensive recreational equipment just because the name or model number is coveted by other locals.

I'm happy with what I have and I'm grateful for the cost-effective ways I've come across them. Which reminds me, I better buy some bindings for the skis I got for free and get them mounted before the trip I'm taking to Monarch on Monday. No time to waste!

No comments: