Sunday, July 06, 2008

a mutual hatred of olives

The following is a conversation from last night:

Ruth (pointing to the olives covered in crushed red pepper on John Burns's plate): Where did you get those?
Burns: At City Market. They have this whole olive bar; there are over a dozen varieties!
Ruth: Gross.
Burns: What do you mean? You don't like olives?
Ruth: No, I hate them.
Kyle (looking at Ruth): I love you.
Burns (to Kyle): You don't like olives either?
Kyle: No, they're disgusting.
(Burns and Ben talk about liking olives while Kyle and I cringe and make faces. Meanwhile, I notice that Kyle bought a type of potato chip that I didn't like as much as I was hoping to.)
Ruth: These chips aren't the greatest...
Kyle (disappointedly): Oh.
Ruth (jokingly): Does that mean you love me less?
Kyle: Of course not.
Ruth (still joking): But it doesn't make you love me more...
Kyle: Honey, I don't think it's possible for me to love you more than I do already.
(awww...isn't he sweet?)

No comments: