Sunday, March 02, 2008

Mission Accomplished

Well, I did it. My goal this season was to ski at all the places my ski pass is valid (minus Heavenly, because I don't think I'll be in California any time soon...).

I made this goal because last winter, despite having a free ski pass to six resorts, I only skied at Keystone. I do have an excuse, though. Last season I had Saturdays and Sundays off. Most people who live and work in the county don't have weekends off. Therefore, it was hard to find people to ski with. Secondly, if anyone did have a Saturday or Sunday off, it was very difficult to convince them to purposely go out to the mountain when all the out-of-towners are there, too. So, last year I found myself skiing at Keystone because I felt comfortable going there by myself and it was the most convenient. Sometimes, I would bring my skis and boots to work and put on my gear after clocking out. I'd walk from my office to the slopes and take a few runs at the end of the day. Ahh, that's the life.

After living here for over a year, I felt a little pathetic that I had only skied at one resort. People would ask me where I liked skiing most, and I only had one possible answer. I felt like I wasn't taking full advantage of the perks that come from working and living in this amazing place. So, I made a pact with myself that this year would be different, and it has been.

I have skied at Keystone, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, A-Basin, and Vail this year. All for free! I even went beyond my goal by adding Steamboat to the list (it's not part of Vail Resorts, but when Kyle's brother was in town, we ventured up there). I might be able to include Copper Mountain because one of my roommates works there and she may be able to get me a one-day lift ticket.

It's been a great season and it's not even close to over yet. I feel so lucky to be able to enjoy everything that this area has to offer. I'm excited for my brothers to get here in less than a week so I can ski with them. This year I won't have to hang my head in shame that I've only skied one mountain. I can proudly say that I've experienced quite the variety of Colorado skiing, and I can't wait to take on even more!

No comments: