Saturday, December 20, 2008

Budget Confidence

I don't consider myself a math wizard by any means. I'm more into words and relationships than facts and figures. However, I've been stretched by this job to understand more about finances and business. My boss, Alan, is a very helpful part of that process. He is great at teaching me aspects of the job so that I can hopefully advance within this department one day. I feel really lucky to be in a position that gives me exposure to elements of the Property Manager job that other Assistant Managers rarely get to handle. For example, a few weeks ago Alan called me up to tell me he was going to be working on writing the 2009 budgets and he asked if I wanted to sit in on it with him so I could learn the process. I eagerly agreed. It was a great learning opportunity. I walked away from that meeting with a better understanding of the method, but I didn't feel confident that I would be able to do one on my own. Today, Alan said he was finishing up the last budget for our area. He asked if I wanted to come over to his office to work on it with him. He suggested that I actually create the budget, while he would be there to assist me if I needed it.

I arrived at his office and he put me in front of the computer. I pulled out my notes from the last time we worked on a budget and I was surprised to remember as much as I did. As expected, I did ask Alan lots of questions and he guided me through the steps that needed to be taken. I certainly couldn't have done it on my own. But, for the most part, I was the one writing the budget. I even found a line item that had been overlooked from being calculated into the previous budget. We created a formula for it and factored it in. When Alan thought there was something seriously wrong with the way a column was calculating, I pointed something out and it all of a sudden made sense. I felt like one of the most intimidating job responsibilities for a Property Manager was opening up before me. I "got it." I had an overwhelming feeling that I could be capable of doing that job. Today's budget meeting convinced me that if a Property Manager position becomes available, I should apply for it.

While I don't put much stock into horoscopes, I found this intriguing when I read it after the work day was done:
December 20, 2008
Aquarius
(1/20-2/18)

Complicated issues and processes won't phase you in the least today -- your brain is razor sharp, and it is ready to dissect issues, untie intellectual knots, and come up with some mind blowing solutions. Right now is the perfect time for you to sign up for a class, start a challenging novel, or try to learn a new hobby. Learning is a snap for you right now, and it will offer you a great sense of achievement. Experiencing something that tests you will show you what you're made of.
I couldn't have said it better.

No comments: