Sunday, March 09, 2008

lunch break

Yesterday, my brothers arrived! Mike got in around 4:00 p.m. After hanging out a bit, playing pool at Kyle's, and eating some Chinese food, Mike and I drove down to Denver to pick up Keith from the airport. Because of his flight's delay, we didn't get back to my house until 2:00 a.m., which, because of Daylight Savings Time, was actually 3:00 a.m. We all crashed.

So, in a way, this is their first real day here. I got up to go to work and they ventured out a little later to ski. The wonderful thing about my job is that we were able to make plans for me to meet up with them and ski for a little while. The day was (and still is) gorgeous! Bright blue skies, plenty of sun, and great snow. "A little while" turned into a little longer than a little while. However, I don't feel very bad about it. That's the great thing about being a salaried position. After all, I have stayed late several nights, I came in on my day off for over four hours on Friday, and some days I don't take a lunch at all. So, an extended lunch one day certainly seems reasonable in my opinion.

We met at the top of Dercum Mountain (which my brothers love to refer to as Durka-Durka). We skied down Mozart and took the lift up to North Peak. A fun run down Anticipation took us to the Outback Express lift. Once on top of the Outback, we wanted to take Porcupine, rather than "holywood" beneath the lift on Elk Run, but we missed the turn off to Porcupine because Mike and Keith were zooming ahead. No big deal; we just had to cut through some trees to get there. It was a fun little excursion. We took the Wayback chair back to the top of North Peak and that's where we split off. The guys went to get a hamburger, and I had to get back to work. I still had a way to go before being able to walk to my car, though. (I always forget just how long it takes to get to and from the different mountains...I didn't estimate my time very well.) I took Prospector down to the base of North Peak, where I took the lift back to the top of Durka-Durka (this is me humoring them). I took Spring Dipper, Whipsaw, Missouri, and finally River Run to get down to the base of the mountain. A brisk walk back to the garage and my sweaty self was ready (although not completely willing) to return to work.

What a lunch break!

No comments: