Tuesday, July 17, 2007

35.4%

This extended weekend (Friday-Monday) I spent 35.4% of my time driving! That's right, 36 of 96 hours were spent driving all by myself. Friday I was in the car for 18 hours, from 5:30 a.m. to midnight, and Monday I was in the car for 16 hours, from 5:30 a.m. until 9:00 p.m. Crazy, I know. The drive was long and boring, but at least it was uneventful in the fact that nothing went wrong. When people heard about the long drive, they suggested audio books. I really wish I had taken them up on their suggestion. Having some characters along for the ride would have helped a lot, I'm sure. I got to listen to a lot of good music, but after about 11 hours, it's hard to know what to put on next... On my way home, when I was approaching Denver and saw the mountains in the distance, I couldn't get to them fast enough. I thought, "Get me to those mountains. That's were I belong!" It made me realize that although Illinois will always be a home base, Summit County truly feels like my home now. It was a good feeling.

So, why all the driving? I went to Arlington Heights for Kristine's wedding reception, which made all the hours worth it. She and her husband, Scott, got married in Mexico on June 20. Many people couldn't attend the wedding, so they had a big party at their house this past weekend. It was a great event and it was so nice to spend time with her, see the pictures from the wedding, see their re-finished house (gorgeous!), and talk with her siblings and her parents. Kristine is the only friend from my high school who I still talk to consistently. It was important for me to be there and I'm so happy I was! This was something that couldn't be repeated (although Kristine certainly is a lucky bride since she got to wear her dress twice!). I'm glad I could be a part of the celebration.

I also got to see my sister, her kids, and the new house she and her husband recently bought. A yummy dinner with my brother and my parents was also part of the weekend. Mom and Dale came back early from their time up north in the U.P. of Michigan so that they could see me before I left to go back to Colorado.

The time went by very quickly, but it was definitely worth the hours in the car. I just wish I could have been there longer to see more people!

No comments: